The Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV, http://www.ingv.it/en/) primarily investigates the fields of Seismology, Volcanology and Earth Environment with the main mission of monitoring geophysical phenomena in both the solid and fluid components of the Earth.
INGV operates under the auspices of the Italian Ministry of University and Research and cooperates with the Civil Protection authorities, both at national and local level. And it has its headquarters in Rome and important facilities in Milano, Bologna, Pisa, Napoli, Catania and Palermo.
INGV Operational Oceanography Group
The operational oceanography research group of INGV (http://oceanop.bo.ingv.it/) is settled in Bologna with the main aim of operationally providing the Analyses, Reanalyses (30 to 60 years) and short term Forecasts of marine currents, temperature, salinity and others physical variables in the Mediterranean Sea (http://medforecast.bo.ingv.it/) in the framework of the Copernicus Marine Service and National projects.
The operational oceanography group is represented and contributes, among the others, to the following networks:
- EUROGOOS (European global Ocean Observing System)
- MONGOOS (Mediterranean Oceanography Network for the GOOS)
- COI (Italian Commission for Oceanography)
Interests in NEMO OGCM
The ocean modelling activities at INGV are mainly based on NEMO model.
- INGV develops and operationally maintains the Mediterranean Forecasting System (MFS) which is composed by a coupled hydrodynamic-wave (NEMO-WW3) model with data assimilation components (3D variational scheme with a daily assimilation cycle of satellite Sea Level Anomaly and vertical profiles of Temperature and Salinity) nested in a coarser Global Ocean operational model in the Atlantic Sea. The system is actually implemented in the Mediterranean Sea at 1/16o horizontal resolution and 72 vertical levels, forced by ECMWF atmospheric fields at 1/8o horizontal resolution. Within the next years, INGV plans to use NEMO in the regional configuration with increased horizontal grid resolutions of 1/24º with 141 vertical levels.
- INGV supports the NEMO-Wave Working Group and contribute actively to the ongoing scientific discussion on the coupling between wave and primitive equation models, defining a NEMO strategy.